Saturday, April 5, 2008

More tastings....


With Thursday being so successful I decided to do a bit of a repeat on Friday night. As I have said, we had had lunch, and done our singing in the afternoon, so I needed a quiet evening.
I found my feet walking back to The Vines of Mendoza and I was tempted on the reserve flights but stuck to the basic boutique tasting again. Maybe if some of you do come with me to Argentina in the future we can taste the reserves together?
This time I went for the Las Muestras- a signature sampling of regional varietals.
1. Gimenez Riili Sparkling called Perpetum We were given a large glass of this for a tasting, and it was very nice..golden, honey tastes even though it was extra brut. Made from 3 grape varieties.
2. From the winery Finca Las Nubes( winery in the clouds), Mounier Torrentes 2007. This was an aromatic white from Salta. Nice for a hot day.By this time I had joined up with Al from Canada, truckers cap on, who described himself as a red-neck. He was in love with Mendoza and the mountains.
3. Gimenz Riili Merlot 2007Great on the nose, young and soft.Made in the industrial style of adding chips of oak into the vats, yet great tasting. My favourite for the night.
4. Trazos de Auter Malbec 2004 called AnphoraThis was a typical Malbec from Yuco valley, nice. The winery is trying to equate wine with art, so a painting is on each bottle.
5. Azul Reserva blend 2003 Was a nice blend from the Yuco Valley. By this time Al and I had joined up with a guy from Ireland and a girl from the US, so were well versed in giving our guide lessons on accents! She was training to be a translator. Yes a full Gran.

I bid my new mates farewell and wandered up to La Sal for dinner. I was perched up in the window, happily watching the world go by. An electric violin was playing against a beat, the same guy who has been playing there ever since I have been coming since 2004. I had the board for one, a selection of meats and cheeses again and una copa de vino (wine by the glass).It must have still been in the mid 20's as it had been a very warm day, and people were all dining outside. It is meant to be autumn here too.
When my dessert of Dulche de leche creme brulee with tiramisu icecream arrived I was convinced I was in heaven. I think it is the best dessert I have ever had in my life.
All up the meal and wine cost me $70 pesos! ie $24 NZ!!
The music alone was worth that.
I walked home slowly, and my legs were very tired as I have walked and walked every day. I thought it was maybe late but had no idea it was 1am when I got in! Their hours are crazy. Anyway, no lessons today so I could sleep in.
So, in 4 days you can pack in quite a bit if determined.
More food and wine stories tomorrow.

No comments: