Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Don't cry for me..I suck at tango dancing in public




Hola,
thought I would bring you up-to-date with my last night in Argentina.
I did go to "Milonga en el Soul", a milonga (tango night) at the Soul bar. I went with two Americans who are motor-biking the length of South America. The trouble is they have already done NZ, Africa, some of Asia, so have been on the road a long time!
Mostly middle-aged people were slung across each other and doing all the traditional steps around in a circle. A few young ones were stars however, and much sought after by the more experienced older ones. There were some real lounge lizard types! My friends had been followed home the night before at 4am by someone from the bar, and decided he was a simple person because the way he acted.
When we arrived I looked up, and this strange guy was sitting behind them, and I said their friend was still behind them. It was sad to watch him try to find women to dance with! My friends got up to the one rock n roll and then stayed on to try to do the tango and made a valiant attempt. I thought I was safe, however I did not know the words for I can't do it! Then the worst thing happened...yes the village idiot asked me to dance! I said no, insisted no,... but he insisted so I gave up and thought what the hell. Well he persevered for half a circle and then left me in disgust!!! Bloody funny. Don't cry for me...even the village idiot wont tango with me.

No comments: