Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bella Vista, Santiago -fantastico

Hola amigos, yes I am fully into the swing of South America and I have only been here for 9 hours! I was not even excited about coming, yet I am reminded how fantastic it is. It is the little things that make me feel at home here in Bella Vista (beautiful view). The trees in the streets, the colours of the lights and the buildings, and the warmth of the people. Chileans are out on the street and chanting as they have just played Uruguay in a World Cup qualifier. The sports' bars were packed, and outside a DISCO WERE A FEW HUNDRED WATCHING THE BIG SCREEN. Sorry hit the caps lock. Musicians still walked the streets playing to suckers like me having dinner, and I found it quite amusing to see so many women enjoying a night out with the girls while the menfolk were watching the game(especially having watched The Women film on the way over.) I have some great cafes up my sleeve for when the boys arrive, so went low key for a salmon and spinach quiche and half a bottle of 2007 Carmenere 35 Sur. So smooth. I had forgotten that lovely fresh bread comes out with pebre which is like a Chilean version of a gazpacho/salsa topping. I took 2 small buns away with me in-case I wake starving in the middle of the night as per the body clock. I read my book and watched the world go by very happily. I bought Sonata for Miriam, Linda Olsson's latest beggar/con men go by as you eat, offering the 'free' magazine for a donation so they can eat (yeah right), or the man who had cat puppets and tried to sucker in tourists with his miaowing routine. Day 1 concludes with Chileans just beginning to go for dinner (it is 9.40 pm)and children going home with parents. The kids cartoons may be finishing. ciao, Suzette

No comments: