Friday, September 24, 2010

Boca Juniors vs Colon BA

I have forgotten to write up the soccer game we went to on Sunday night.
After a busy day in San Telmo (flea markets, antiques and thousands of people, mostly Brazilians on their winter holiday) we got home just in time to be picked up for the Boca game at La Bomberina...the stadium famous for the shape ( a chocolate box) and for the passion of the supporters. I have been before and enjoyed it so much it was worth going again and seeing Sarah's face as the stadium started to vibrate and sway, actually.
I had not noticed how extremely poor the Boca working class streets were around the stadium. Real slum conditions behind faded facades could be glimpsed as we marched along. snotty nosed kids with attitude hung about...I think I had a different access last time. in fact I know I did as last time I was in with the Boca  supporters but now we have to be locked in with the visitors for our safety. This means we have to arrive early to avoid Boca supporters, get marched through three police cordons and searches, and past riot police all shielded up. Once we are in our seats, then the Boca supporters start to arrive with the accompaniment of drums and singing. They didn't stop playing or singing the entire game.
I stupidly applauded a great play by Boca Under 18's in the game before the main match and I was told off by the guide. Remember to be careful and you are a Colon supporter tonight!
We also had to be aware of what colours we were wearing, and all of the Colon supporters put their colours over top of what they were wearing after they were safely locked in.





 

No comments: